Thursday, October 30, 2008

Workshop Day Two

We arrived at the store the next day and I was blown away to see everyone creating a new appliqué block. They were hand cutting out shapes from my other quilts and making a new piece to take home to personalize. It really warmed my heart to see them so enthusiastic and not holding back. Thanh was amazed too as she had felt they would need a lot more guidance with the project. I believe the timing was right to introduce them to new techniques and for them to start finding their own creativity. Today's goal was to teach embellishments. We had brought many beads, threads and buttons with us. They loved looking through the bowls and making their own choices. Many thanks to Susan Day from Michael Miller fabrics, Sheila from Renaissance Ribbons, Rings and Things and my students at home who donated generously to the cause. We were able to leave many supplies with them for future projects. I spent about 4 hours on the floor teaching 10 different embroidery stitches along with beading and the use of buttons. It was fascinating to see how easy it was to communicate with hand movements and the use of our eyes. They were just so eager to learn and use all the stitches on their blocks. At the end of the day we pinned up every ones block. Each person shared what they had learned along with why they had chosen certain colors and embellishments. I was amazed at how much knowledge they had translated into their work.

Thanh had suggested that they make a quilt out of all the blocks. Well no quilt is complete with out a label! So I quickly had everyone sign a piece of fabric for the back of the quilt. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

This experience was a wonderful blessing for me. I could not have thought of a better place to share what I am so passionate about. Many thanks to Wendy and Della for there support and encouragement and to Thanh and the quilters for making this trip so special. We hope to return soon to teach hand dyeing.

Sue

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, nice emailing with you earlier today. The workshop looks like it was great fun!

    --Dave
    at Rings & Things

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience your trip must have been! The blocks are so beautiful too. When you receive a pic of the finished quilt, will you be sure to share it with us? What a feeling that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, fantastic, with you right in the middle of them on the floor.
    Makes me smile and cry. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue,
    I have enjoyed following your trip, how completely wonderful. I love your work but am so impressed with your trip here and how fulfilling it must be for you.
    Thank you for sharing......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue,
    The quilt blocks you helped them create turned out beautifully! I'm sure they were thrilled and inspired by your visit. You do wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sue,
    whata wonderful experience......the picture of you sitting on the floor with everyone around you, just brought a tear to my eye....isn't that which makes everything worth it?
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete