Friday, February 25, 2011

Kokomo Indiana

Cathy and I are in Kokomo, Indiana. I taught a really fun creative workshop at the Kokomo Quilt Guild. Fun was had by all. Many worked with wool for the first time and a few of the students told me this was really out of their comfort zone. All 20 students did a fabulous job working with ribbons, textural fabrics and fibers.
I am always amazed at the wonderful ways my students use ribbons. What a fabulous way to embellish a flower!
We also worked on many stitches using lovely hand dyed yarns.
As we wrote in our journals we talked about how many ways we could create stems. I love the texture on this piece.
Dawn from Anderson, Indiana brought her Victoria tote to share. This is from my carpet bag pattern Victoria. Her colors and techniques were wonderful.
I do a lot of embellishment with hand dyed Chenille. Here is another very creative use of Chenille thread on this flower.
We have this wonderful bird fabric from Valori Wells on our website. I love the way it was cut out to applique on this piece.
We also worked with beads and couching of threads. I am always amazed at how the stitching changes the appearance of a piece.
Cathy tried out Pats headlight. They had a lot of fun selling the idea to others. I guess as we age any gadgets like this are helpful to many of us. Just wish they made pretty ones!
We are setting up today to Vend at The Winter Woolen workshop at the Sieberling Mansion and Elliot House - 1200 W. Sycamore Street, Kokomo Indiana. It is open Saturday 9am-6pm and Sunday 11am-5pm. If you are in the area come and say hi. We would love to see you.
Creative Stitching
Sue

9 comments:

  1. I really like how she used chenille for the flower.
    Someone gave me some old blankets and a book on how to make it, so need to figure that out.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is fabulous student work as usual, but I'm intrigued by Pat's light. So much so I linked to your post here,
    http://quilting.craftgossip.com/?p=7552

    Warmly,
    Scarlett Burroughs
    Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a head torch, you can get them in loads of shops, can't specify which ones but I remember seeing them. It's for campers and those sort of outdoorsy types. If you can't find one in shops you will be able to find one on ebay, they are very cheap :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Head gear....I have seen them at Walmart...in the flash-light section....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see the stitching on your blog posts, it's always very inspiring. Those headlamps are pretty handy - we have a few around our house. We've used them to find things in cabinets and I even tried using one as a booklight at night (but didn't like my head squeezed).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to see all the gorgeous embellishments. Thanks for sharing, looks like a marvelous class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love looking at your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que bellezas de trabajo y el bolso es una maravilla. Feliciades.
    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  9. realy nice flowers. I like your work.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete